Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Blog Tutorial, November

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jk703

jk703

Blog Tutorial, November Empty
PostSubject: Blog Tutorial, November   Blog Tutorial, November I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 06, 2017 5:59 am

Hi Everyone! It's Jenn, jk703, here for a fun little tutorial! This one you can add to almost any paper layer, and even try it on some photos, if you like! It's perfect for stretching your stash, and looks best with plain paper! :) Hoping you like it! For my layout and tutorial images, I used Mirjam's new BYOC items - Love Lives Here! Perfect for fall and very versatile for non-fall too!

First, I have a blank white layer to start. If you are in the middle of a layout, create a new layer. It doesn't have to be filled white. (The next step will do that automatically).
Blog Tutorial, November I-jH2sz78-M

Now, we are going to start out with the Gradient Tool. You will want the first choice - black to white gradient, and I used the Diamond Gradient. That is the last box of the options for how the gradient will appear on the layer. One thing that is important is to choose the Difference Blend Mode.
Blog Tutorial, November I-Jd9X79f-XL

With the white layer or empty new layer, you will click and drag your cursor across the page. Here I did the click and drag approx. 4 times, all on the same layer.
Blog Tutorial, November I-PF9XCbs-L

Keep adding more lines, go up and down, sideways, right to left, whichever way you want. When you are happy, your layer should look like some variation of this:
Blog Tutorial, November I-CLF9kWj-L

Next, we are going to use a Filter. With your newly made gradient layer chosen, now click on Filter > Stylize > Emboss.
Blog Tutorial, November I-GN2j5KQ-M

A menu will pop up. Play with the sliders until it looks right to you. I wanted a more crisp line, so my pixels are lower in height. Sometimes, when I played it seemed to get super blurry. At that point, I brought the sliders back to 0 and tried again slowly.
Blog Tutorial, November I-tRNhQJ9-L

Once you are happy with the Emboss filter, bring in a paper over the Gradient Layer. Then choose the Overlay Blend Mode. Like this:
Blog Tutorial, November I-tMZQ9Mf-L

You can also add an Adjustment Layer, Curves. I tweaked the darker colors a smidge so that my angles had a little bit of additional shadow. Here is what I came up with.
Blog Tutorial, November I-4kNGDZz-L

I was playing around, and tried white paper - it's still a work in progress, I think my shadowing could be more defined. The orange was just a little to overpowering for my photo and layout. So, I just made that part of the paper stack on the right.
Blog Tutorial, November I-xR8pZq5-L

I would love to see what you create using this technique!
Have fun learning!

Thanks for visiting!
Jenn Marione (jk703)
Back to top Go down
jennmccabe

jennmccabe

PostSubject: Re: Blog Tutorial, November   Blog Tutorial, November I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 08, 2017 11:20 pm

shut up! that is so cool! i've never seen anything like this Tutorial Jenn. Very cool!
Back to top Go down
jk703

jk703

PostSubject: Re: Blog Tutorial, November   Blog Tutorial, November I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 09, 2017 12:23 am

Thanks, Jenn. I have another cool one up my sleeve for next month. I have to work out the kinks.
This one def looked better with the orange, but the white looked better with the layout.... :)
Back to top Go down
Stefanie

PostSubject: Re: Blog Tutorial, November   Blog Tutorial, November I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 09, 2017 9:57 am

Thanks, used the template and Garden Party:
Blog Tutorial, November SdCnwMS
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blog Tutorial, November   Blog Tutorial, November I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Blog Tutorial, November
Page 1 of 1