Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

12/3 - How to Create Your Own Holiday Bokeh SCHEDULED

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Staciahall

Staciahall

12/3 - How to Create Your Own Holiday Bokeh SCHEDULED Empty
PostSubject: 12/3 - How to Create Your Own Holiday Bokeh SCHEDULED   12/3 - How to Create Your Own Holiday Bokeh SCHEDULED I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2019 4:18 am

Sometimes you want to take one of your holiday photos and make it a little more sparkly and festive. You could buy bokeh brushes but it’s really easy to make your own. Let me show you how.

12/3 - How to Create Your Own Holiday Bokeh SCHEDULED 49052107956_8a2acfa861_b1-brush tool by Stacia, on Flickr

First, open a holiday photo and select the brush tool either with keyboard shortcut B or using the toolbar. I’ll use a hard round brush for sharpness. I ended up selecting about a 200 pixel brush here.

12/3 - How to Create Your Own Holiday Bokeh SCHEDULED 49052107921_678fa1abb1_b2-need scatter by Stacia, on Flickr

Well, that’s no good! Straight lines aren’t what I need. Let’s try to introduce some randomness.

12/3 - How to Create Your Own Holiday Bokeh SCHEDULED 49052319642_6db58301ba_o3-jitter by Stacia, on Flickr

In the brush settings panel, I’ll click the checkbox on Shape Dynamics and then click in that shaded rectangle which brings up selections specific to that option. Increasing size jitter will vary the size of the dots. Increasing the minimum diameter will ensure the dots stay fairly large which would be realistic for reflecting tree lights. Increasing the roundness jitter a little makes the circles not quite perfect, again for a little more realism.

12/3 - How to Create Your Own Holiday Bokeh SCHEDULED 49051596428_5609cb35fa_o4-painted jitter by Stacia, on Flickr

Now that’s more like it! I opened a new layer above my photo and painted using my brush tool to see how it was looking. I didn’t use one continuous stroke, instead using several for variety. But it still feels a little too perfect…

12/3 - How to Create Your Own Holiday Bokeh SCHEDULED 49052107881_9aa52d20a9_b5-scatter count by Stacia, on Flickr

So I click on Scattering to add more randomness. This brings up another menu with options. I increased the scatter to 800% and the count to 3. The count decides how many additional brush tips will be added to the selection. A larger count would be too busy in this application. Choosing the fade of 10 means that the scattering is gradually reduced based on the number of steps I chose.

12/3 - How to Create Your Own Holiday Bokeh SCHEDULED 49051596378_c14f5b7580_b6-transfer by Stacia, on Flickr

Now we’ll work on the opacity of the dots. I could turn the opacity down on the entire layer but that gives no variation in color. So we’ll select the transfer option in the brush panel and that gives us the option of an opacity jitter slider like we used scatter in our last example. Now the color of my dots varies from dark to light in each stroke of my brush.

12/3 - How to Create Your Own Holiday Bokeh SCHEDULED 49052107801_814570114d_b7-color variation by Stacia, on Flickr

I’m ready to start brushing now. I used the eyedropper to select the color of the snowflake and clicked several times from the top left to the bottom right. Then, I selected a lighter color and did it again. It’s starting to look like bokeh!

12/3 - How to Create Your Own Holiday Bokeh SCHEDULED 49052319557_84aab7e71e_o8-add a blur by Stacia, on Flickr

I’ll click on each brush layer in my layers panel and add a Gaussian blur to it. I played around with the radius and decided on 9. You’ll notice that the dots are still a little strong looking. Let’s fix that.
12/3 - How to Create Your Own Holiday Bokeh SCHEDULED 49052107751_82f4f8f8a7_o9-reduced opacity by Stacia, on Flickr

I reduced the opacity on both brush layers so that it looked more realistic. It turned out to be about 60%. We could call it done at this point and scrapbook this photo as is. Or we could go the extra step and add a little more sparkle.

12/3 - How to Create Your Own Holiday Bokeh SCHEDULED 49051596223_469e5e97d3_b10-create a line by Stacia, on Flickr

I use my line tool, nested under the rectangle tool, select drawing in pixels instead of in a shape. I choose a small weight of 2 pixels because I want to draw a thin line.

12/3 - How to Create Your Own Holiday Bokeh SCHEDULED 49052107721_0fb1fbfb52_o11-motion blur by Stacia, on Flickr

I draw a tiny line and then apply a motion blur to it like so. I want the edges of the line to extend.

12/3 - How to Create Your Own Holiday Bokeh SCHEDULED 49051596188_ebb66da655_b12-both starburst by Stacia, on Flickr

Then I duplicate that layer and use the transform tool to rotate it 90 degrees. I merge those two layers together, duplicate THAT layer and rotate it 45 degrees to create a little starburst. Another touch is to slightly reduce the size of one half of the starburst to make it less symmetrical.

12/3 - How to Create Your Own Holiday Bokeh SCHEDULED 49052107681_17ee19a8cc_c13-strokeblur by Stacia, on Flickr

To get the little hazy circle around the starburst, I’ll use my elliptical tool to draw a circle around the starburst. Then I’ll add a tiny 1 pixel stroke to create the line. Next, add a Gaussian blur to the stroked circle. That’s perfect! Now I can merge the layers, duplicate it, resize the copies to varying sizes and place them over some of the lights on my photo to create sparkles.

12/3 - How to Create Your Own Holiday Bokeh SCHEDULED 49052319432_baf7137b59_c14-sun by Stacia, on Flickr

Is there an easy button for this? I searched the custom tools and found a sun shape that is quite similar. There is a tiny circle inside but it works fine when placed over the tree lights on my photo.

12/3 - How to Create Your Own Holiday Bokeh SCHEDULED 49052319382_15ec9d9f46_o15-Final2 by Stacia, on Flickr

Zoomed in and at full opacity these are a little obvious. But that’s an easy fix, just reduce the size and opacity until they are just a nice sparkle over the lights. I also erased a couple of the bokeh dots that were distracting on top of the tree. Here’s my final version with multiple sparkles included. What do you think?

I hope I’ve given you a little trick you can use with your photos this holiday season.
Back to top Go down
mirjam
Admin
mirjam

12/3 - How to Create Your Own Holiday Bokeh SCHEDULED Empty
PostSubject: Re: 12/3 - How to Create Your Own Holiday Bokeh SCHEDULED   12/3 - How to Create Your Own Holiday Bokeh SCHEDULED I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2019 10:10 am

Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :loveshower:
Back to top Go down
https://pinkreptiledesigns.forumotion.com

12/3 - How to Create Your Own Holiday Bokeh SCHEDULED
Page 1 of 1