Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

October 4 Tutorial POSTED

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jk703

jk703

October 4 Tutorial POSTED Empty
PostSubject: October 4 Tutorial POSTED   October 4 Tutorial POSTED I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2016 5:19 am

Hello everyone! It's Jenn, jk703, and I'm here today to share a little way to make a spotlight focus. Many pictures I add a blur to the edges of the images, so as to give my main subject the focus it deserves. For my tutorial today, I've chosen a photo that really has a single focus, so that I can easily show you to to give it a little more focus by blurring the rest of the photo.

Here is my original image. A beautiful sunset at my home away from home, Lavalette, NJ. I could watch the sun set every single day and be amazed.
October 4 Tutorial POSTED I-dDvWGFh-M

Now, I've made a duplicate copy of my image. I do this mainly since I screw up every so often, and it's easier to start from scratch, and try again with the same original image. This is already a copy of my original image, so this is just n case I want to start over.
October 4 Tutorial POSTED I-FTvLQND

Now, I clicked over to Channels, which is behind my Layers Palette. If you don't have a tab for Channels, just click on Windows > Channels. Then it should appear for you. Here is what it will look like in the Layers Palette after it's chosen.
October 4 Tutorial POSTED I-c2GcbLT

With the Channels Menu open, click on the bottom New Layer Icon, it looks like a square with a folded corner. When you click, your image will turn black, and all other channels will be turned off. This is ok!
October 4 Tutorial POSTED I-wgtbv6G
October 4 Tutorial POSTED I-LwHsGBj-S

Once you have that black image, you will then click to turn on the RGB line. Then you will see your image as if you had red glasses on. Like this:  
October 4 Tutorial POSTED I-R7nMrQF-M

Your Channels will look like this, and you will want to choose the Alpha 1 layer as your chosen layer.
October 4 Tutorial POSTED I-wrGbgq3

Next, you will use a large, soft, brush. I've turned my opacity to 40%. This is to help in the blurring. As you will paint white, you don't want a stark difference, but more a subtle one. Using the opacity changed to a lower one will affect the mask that you are creating on the Alpha layer.
October 4 Tutorial POSTED I-vHS673q-M
October 4 Tutorial POSTED I-fCJ6gns-M

Here is my Alpha Layer. You can see yours by turning off the RGB line. Technically, this is called a Depth Map.)
October 4 Tutorial POSTED I-HZn7FMB-M

Now, switch back to the Layer's Palette. Choose the layer that you have been wanting to blur. Once you have that, choose Filter > Blur > Lens Blur. A new screen will pop up.
October 4 Tutorial POSTED I-RfBBnCF

For this menu box, click a check into Invert if it is not already there, make sure Alpha 1 is the source, and check Preview so you can see as you work what happens to your image. The easiest way to get the blur effect is to play with the Shape and Radius. Mine is currently a Hexagon and at a 39. play with your slider and see what you like the best. When done, click ok.
October 4 Tutorial POSTED I-vwdXbmd

Here is my image. It is hard to tell, but if you scroll up, you can definitely see the blurred areas around the boat from the original picture.
October 4 Tutorial POSTED I-hmT6tBb-M

Here is the same picture, I've saved this one a  little bit bigger to show the detail...
October 4 Tutorial POSTED I-MJj4Sb7-XL

There you go! Pretty easy, and it can really change your images, and their focus. Here is the layout I created. I used:

Last edited by jk703 on Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:13 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
mirjam
Admin
mirjam

PostSubject: Re: October 4 Tutorial POSTED   October 4 Tutorial POSTED I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2016 10:13 am

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :confetti: :dance3:
Back to top Go down
https://pinkreptiledesigns.forumotion.com
jennmccabe

jennmccabe

PostSubject: Re: October 4 Tutorial POSTED   October 4 Tutorial POSTED I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2016 2:44 pm

very cool Jenn!!! more people (me included) could benefit from learning how to use those channels more often! :thumbsup:
Back to top Go down
jk703

jk703

PostSubject: Re: October 4 Tutorial POSTED   October 4 Tutorial POSTED I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2016 7:13 am

Tip #1 [OCTOBER BYOC NL]

To enlarge your image or layout to fit the size of your PS screen, double click on the Hand icon. It will immediately zoom in or out to the perfect size!

Tip #2 [iDSD NEWSLETTER]

Many times, I might have multiple text boxes on my layouts. One might have a date, another with a little tid bit of journaling, and then some with a whole lot of journaling. If I am playing around with fonts, sizing and other features, I like to edit them all at the same time. All you have to do is select all the layers (using the Command Key/Alt Key), and then edit them with the Type Toolbar. So much easier!
Back to top Go down
mirjam
Admin
mirjam

PostSubject: Re: October 4 Tutorial POSTED   October 4 Tutorial POSTED I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2016 2:48 pm

:omg: I totally didn't know that about editing all text boxes at once!!! What a great, time saving tip Jenn!
Back to top Go down
jennmccabe

jennmccabe

PostSubject: Re: October 4 Tutorial POSTED   October 4 Tutorial POSTED I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2016 4:36 pm

that's so cool Jen ... i haven't tried it yet but just one ? ... where it says "You will NOT want to chose the Alpha 1 layer as your chosen layer." Is that correct? Or should the "NOT" ... not be there?
Back to top Go down
jk703

jk703

PostSubject: Re: October 4 Tutorial POSTED   October 4 Tutorial POSTED I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2016 4:39 am

jennmccabe wrote:
that's so cool Jen ... i haven't tried it yet but just one ? ... where it says "You will NOT want to chose the Alpha 1 layer as your chosen layer." Is that correct? Or should the "NOT" ... not be there?

I will go check, Jenn! I can't remember, lol! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
jk703

jk703

PostSubject: Re: October 4 Tutorial POSTED   October 4 Tutorial POSTED I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2016 5:17 am

Thanks, Jenn! You were right! Phew! :yourock:
Back to top Go down
jk703

jk703

PostSubject: Re: October 4 Tutorial POSTED   October 4 Tutorial POSTED I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2016 6:10 pm

Mirjam! I forgot that I needed a layout for this. So sorry. If you want to post it right away, it can be done with out the layout. Or, I could complete one tonight and then you could have it go live tomorrow. Dsd threw me off and it totally slipped my mind. :sorry:

Sorry I screwed up the schedule!
Back to top Go down
jk703

jk703

PostSubject: Re: October 4 Tutorial POSTED   October 4 Tutorial POSTED I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2016 6:13 pm

um... sorry. I just saw it was posted.

I need that chair emoji to hide under! :oops:
Back to top Go down
mirjam
Admin
mirjam

PostSubject: Re: October 4 Tutorial POSTED   October 4 Tutorial POSTED I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2016 6:27 pm

:teehee: No worries Jenn. I saw that the tut could be posted without a layout so I adjusted the last sentence and voila! Post done! :highfive:
Back to top Go down
jk703

jk703

PostSubject: Re: October 4 Tutorial POSTED   October 4 Tutorial POSTED I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2016 7:51 pm

Thanks, Mirjam! Sorry again!
Back to top Go down
mirjam
Admin
mirjam

PostSubject: Re: October 4 Tutorial POSTED   October 4 Tutorial POSTED I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2016 8:10 pm

That's okay Jenn! I really LOVE the tut!!! :thumbsup:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: October 4 Tutorial POSTED   October 4 Tutorial POSTED I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

October 4 Tutorial POSTED
Page 1 of 1