Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sept 6th TUT : Getting a "Silhouette Cut-Out" look on your pages POSTED

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jennmccabe

jennmccabe

Sept 6th TUT : Getting a "Silhouette Cut-Out" look on your pages POSTED Empty
PostSubject: Sept 6th TUT : Getting a "Silhouette Cut-Out" look on your pages POSTED   Sept 6th TUT : Getting a "Silhouette Cut-Out" look on your pages POSTED I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2016 2:10 am

Hey there! I don't know about you but in my Pinterest feed I am seeing scrapbook pages with paper cut-outs popping up ... all day, every day. And I have to say ... the pages are so unique and full of gorgeous pattern and color. I love the look! Most of the pages are traditional paper scrapbook pages and the layout artist is using some type of cutting machine like a Silhouette or a Cricut. But, that doesn't leave us digital artists out of the fun! We can most definitely join in on the fun of this popular trend using our scrapbooking software!

If you haven't seen these cut out looks around ... I'll share some of the gorgeous inspiration I have seen in my Pinterest feed from many talented paper scrappers:

Sept 6th TUT : Getting a "Silhouette Cut-Out" look on your pages POSTED 3way_cutoutTutImageweb

In this very small sample of pages using cut files, you can see so many different ways the layouts artists have used them on their pages:
backed with pattern papers, painted on, watercolored, and the negative image used with swatches of paint underneath. Each is so diverse and beautiful in its own right.

So let's take a look at how we can approach this digitally. (Note: I am using Photoshop CC 2015.5. So things may look different depending on what version you have, but most things should be do-able for you.)

I found a cute scallop border element in Pink Reptile Design's mini kit for the August Scrap Parade: On This Day.

Sept 6th TUT : Getting a "Silhouette Cut-Out" look on your pages POSTED Prd_onthisday_store_preview

So let's use that border element to recreate the look of Ashley Horner's page digitally, although ours will be a little different. We will be creating a mat with one piece of card stock, with multiple scallop "cut-outs" stacked. Then we can finish off our page by placing different patterned papers or painting underneath the "cut-out" mat.

First open a new document, the size you want your final page to be (mine is 12 x 12 inches). And bring in your scallop border (or whatever other element you want to use to create your cut-out look). You now need to select it : one way is to use the magic wand tool and click anywhere on the peach color of the scallop. But this presents a problem ... those little dots still need to be a part of our selection. So make sure, up in the tool bar options, Contiguous is checked. We want contiguous checked because this will only select pixels next to each other. Since that part of the scallop is see-through, having it unchecked would confuse the magic wand tool and it would start selecting all of the white background. We just want each of those tiny circles within our scallop to be included. Also up top in the tool options : select the second icon > Add to selection. This will keep the basic shape of scallop that we already have and as we will click inside each of the little circles, it will add them as well. You may have to click around the circle a bit (more than once to get it all). Do this for each circle until the entire scallop has "marching ants" around it and there are no cut out circles.

Here's a screen shot with the Magic Wand tool selected and the options bar shows where each of the properties that we need to pay attention to are located.

Sept 6th TUT : Getting a "Silhouette Cut-Out" look on your pages POSTED PrdTUT_sept_step1

This shows what our selection ("marching ants") looks like when we first click on our scallop. See how the little white dots have a ring of "marching ants" around them? We don't want that! That means those circles are not part of our selection.

Sept 6th TUT : Getting a "Silhouette Cut-Out" look on your pages POSTED PrdTUT_sept_step4

This is what we want:

Sept 6th TUT : Getting a "Silhouette Cut-Out" look on your pages POSTED PrdTUT_sept_step2

Now with your selection still active (those marching ants should still be dancing around in that scallop shape!) create a new layer and pick a color for your foreground (I am going to use black). Use your paint bucket tool on that new layer to fill in the scallop shape. You do this by clicking any where inside the marching ants with the paint bucket tool. You can now delete the original scallop element layout from the On This Day mini kit.

Sept 6th TUT : Getting a "Silhouette Cut-Out" look on your pages POSTED PrdTUT_sept_step6

Now we are ready to do the "cut-out" look. We are simply going to fill up our page with copies of this shape, stacking them and placing them off kilter as we go until we fill up our page. Press Command D (on a Mac) or Control D (on a PC) to deselect the scallop. You can copy the scallop shape by pressing Command J (on a Mac) or Control J on a PC. Another way is holding down ALT while you drag the scallop shape ... when you do this you must have the Move Tool selected & you will see a white triangle along with the usual black triangle. Another way is to go up to your Menu options and select > Layer > Duplicate Layer. There are other methods ... use whatever is fastest for you!

Arrange each copy the way you want it to look on your page. You can see my example below.

Sept 6th TUT : Getting a "Silhouette Cut-Out" look on your pages POSTED PrdTUT_sept_step7

A TIP: Under View, make sure >Extras, >Snap and >Rulers all have check marks next them : this turns lets you see your spacing. See the pink in between my scallops? It might be hard to see, but it is telling me that each scallop snaps and is spaced exactly .25 inches from each other. When set the spacing for the first two scallops, as you drag each of the other copies around your page, you can chose to let go and drop it at any distance, but when you get close to the .25 inches it will snap and let you know when it is there! Of course if you like a messier and uneven look - you can certainly vary your spaces. You can rotate them slightly to and even stack them overlapping each other.

Here is how I arranged my scallops:

Sept 6th TUT : Getting a "Silhouette Cut-Out" look on your pages POSTED PrdTUT_sept_step9

Once they are in place, select all of the layers of scallops, and go to >Layers >Merge Layers. This places them all on one layer and will allow you to "cut" this newly merged shape out of a piece of card stock or patterned paper, which we will be doing in just a minute. Before we move onto the "cutting" part, let's get a piece of card stock out and place it on our page under the scallop layer.

Here's what my Layers palette looks like with the Merged scallops in black all on one layer and the Love Bug cardstock below it.

Sept 6th TUT : Getting a "Silhouette Cut-Out" look on your pages POSTED PrdTUT_sept_step8

Now select your scallops. Use the Magic Wand method from earlier or another easy way is to Command click (on a Mac) or Control click (on a PC) over the layer thumbnail in your layers palette. Don't click on the grey area, click on the "thumbnail" or "image" next to the grey area. This places those "marching ants" around all of the scallops on your page.
Sept 6th TUT : Getting a "Silhouette Cut-Out" look on your pages POSTED PrdTUT_sept_step10

Now we are ready to digitally "cut" this shape from our cardstock. Click on your cardstock layer (or whatever paper you chose) and press delete. Those "marching ants" will digitally "cut" that shape out of the cardstock/paper. To see it, go back to the scallop layer and click on the eye icon in front of the layer thumbnail in the layer palette to turn that layer off. You should see a "hole" cut out of your paper revealing the white background below.

Click Command D (on a Mac) or Control D (on a PC) to deselect the scallop shape and those "marching ants" should go away. Now put your favorite paper drop shadow on your cardstock/paper layer to really see the cut-out better. Here's my cut-out with a patterned paper from Love Bug positioned underneath.

Sept 6th TUT : Getting a "Silhouette Cut-Out" look on your pages POSTED PrdTUT_sept_step11

And if you prefer, you can watch a video version of this tutorial!

https://vimeo.com/181179774

I hope you have fun making your own digital "cut" files. You can add different patterns of paper under each scallop or paint under your cut-out mat to get an endless amount of looks for your pages!

Last edited by jennmccabe on Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
mirjam
Admin
mirjam

PostSubject: Re: Sept 6th TUT : Getting a "Silhouette Cut-Out" look on your pages POSTED   Sept 6th TUT : Getting a "Silhouette Cut-Out" look on your pages POSTED I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2016 4:32 pm

:biglove: :toottoot: :yourock: AWESOME Jenn!!!!! :chapeau: :respect:
Back to top Go down
https://pinkreptiledesigns.forumotion.com
jennmccabe

jennmccabe

PostSubject: Re: Sept 6th TUT : Getting a "Silhouette Cut-Out" look on your pages POSTED   Sept 6th TUT : Getting a "Silhouette Cut-Out" look on your pages POSTED I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2016 7:45 pm

thanks mirjam, glad you like!

(ps I have a little tweaking to do ... misspellings, sentences sound a little funny and I may try to do a video for those that prefer to see it, rather than read the steps ... so don't post it on the blog just yet ... i just have find a quiet time to do that part. probably beginning of next week. I'll update when it is good to go! )
Back to top Go down
MlleTerraMoka
CT member
MlleTerraMoka

PostSubject: Re: Sept 6th TUT : Getting a "Silhouette Cut-Out" look on your pages POSTED   Sept 6th TUT : Getting a "Silhouette Cut-Out" look on your pages POSTED I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2016 8:05 pm

What a clever idea !!!
Thank Jenn, your creativity inspires me
Back to top Go down
http://mlleterramoka.canalblog.com
mirjam
Admin
mirjam

PostSubject: Re: Sept 6th TUT : Getting a "Silhouette Cut-Out" look on your pages POSTED   Sept 6th TUT : Getting a "Silhouette Cut-Out" look on your pages POSTED I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2016 9:20 pm

jennmccabe wrote:
thanks mirjam, glad you like!

(ps I have a little tweaking to do ... misspellings, sentences sound a little funny and I may try to do a video for those that prefer to see it, rather than read the steps ... so don't post it on the blog just yet ... i just have find a quiet time to do that part. probably beginning of next week. I'll update when it is good to go! )

I'll wait until you say the post is ready! :thumbsup:
Back to top Go down
jennmccabe

jennmccabe

PostSubject: Re: Sept 6th TUT : Getting a "Silhouette Cut-Out" look on your pages POSTED   Sept 6th TUT : Getting a "Silhouette Cut-Out" look on your pages POSTED I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2016 3:05 pm

ugh. school started for me ... but everyone has still been home as the hubby works from home, and the kids do not start school until after Labor Day (sept 6th) ... so there is NO QUITE time to record around here!!! sigh. but I woke up really early and got it done bf anyone else was up! :teehee:

I put the vimeo link in the post Mirjam, but I only see a You Tube option, so not sure how to make it visible here in the the thread. But at least you have it for the blog! All set now!
Back to top Go down
mirjam
Admin
mirjam

PostSubject: Re: Sept 6th TUT : Getting a "Silhouette Cut-Out" look on your pages POSTED   Sept 6th TUT : Getting a "Silhouette Cut-Out" look on your pages POSTED I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2016 5:20 pm

LOL!! Thank SO much for getting up early to do that video Jenn! You are a gem! No idea how you can post the video in here either but I can get it on my blog and that is what we want right?!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sept 6th TUT : Getting a "Silhouette Cut-Out" look on your pages POSTED   Sept 6th TUT : Getting a "Silhouette Cut-Out" look on your pages POSTED I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sept 6th TUT : Getting a "Silhouette Cut-Out" look on your pages POSTED
Page 1 of 1